Saturday, December 9, 2006

Second encounter

I should have realized that I couldn't avoid him forever. I thought that maybe he'd forget about me; that I was just another little thing on the side to keep him from having to stay in and watch TV on a Friday night. I was so wrong.

I had been avoiding the place where I first met him. Figuring that it was safe, I started including it in my list of daily haunts again. Big mistake.

It was the second night of me being back. I was talking to a peer and I felt a tap on my shoulder. I knew it was him before I turned around. I could smell his aftershave.

"Hello. I thought I would find you here." He smiled at me and gave me a once-over. I was starting to get that feeling in my stomach again.

"Hey. I haven't been avoiding you, I've just been really busy with stuff." I was lying through my teeth. He could tell, but he was gracious enough not to let on.

"Can we talk? There's a place next door that has some great mozzarella sticks." I smirked at his blue-collar tendencies. I couldn't help but find it endearing. Was he doing it on purpose?

The place next door was all that was promised. It did have some good appetizers, and he shocked me by getting a Coke instead of a beer.

We talked about college, Christmas (he's hoping for a GPS system), and Matt Drudge. He is a fan, though he hardly listens. He wants to borrow my copy of Drudge Manifesto when I'm done with it.

Then he started pressing subjects from before.

"When are you going to be my intern?" I couldn't answer. I knew what he was really asking.

"I'm kind of..promised to someone."
"Who?"
"He's not from around here."
"If he's not here with you, then he's not worth a damn minute of your time. Why would you waste your time with a guy who doesn't want to be around you?"

He reached across the table, in the dimly lit room, and touched the side of my face.

"I'm divorcing my wife. I want you to be my intern."

I signed the paper. He dropped me off at the college. He kissed me. I have to find out if he's really getting divorced or not. You never know with people of his occupation. They're so sleazy. So..sleazy.

No comments: