Saturday, November 25, 2006

My evening with an undisclosed politician

About two weeks ago, I ran into a locally-well-known politician while I was making my rounds. Our eyes met and his smile exuded warmth; we pressed hands and the contrast between my small, soft hand and his rough, work-hardened hand set the pace of how our relationship would be.

We made small chat, but that soon turned to things more intimate. I revealed that I had campaigned heartily for him, and his body tensed. Basically, he said that he wanted to thank me by taking me out sometime. He said that I seemed like a fine young (Republican) lady and he wanted to get to know me a little better, as a young voter demographic. I accepted. I gave him my number and he said that he would get back to me. I never expected to hear from him again.

Four days ago, he called me and said that he wanted to see me.

"Are you busy on Friday night?" he asked me. I was a little bit surprised; he sounded like a young man about to ask a girl out to prom.
"I'm fairly sure I can pencil you in," I bantered back. I could almost hear his relief. He told me that he would pick me up at 6 and we would go to eat somewhere. Who knows where that would lead.

Was I nervous? Of course I was. This was a man that I looked up to..not only was he my hero, but hell, I dreamed about him. I decided to be brave about this, because I mean, he is the one that asked me, right? I realized that he was probably more nervous about making a good impression. Maybe not. You never know.

I wore prep-casual that night. You know, my usual. I did pull out a khaki skirt, though. Not too mini, about a few inches above my knees. A ribbon for a belt. Pink and brown striped Hilfiger polo shirt. My GOP charm bracelet. Hair pulled up in a clip. I did wear heels, though they weren't stilettos. They were more..chunky-practical. Very classy, though.

I don't know what first impression I made on him, because I couldn't see his face when I got in his car. He did comment that I looked good, but his head was out the window. Smoking a cigarette. I was starting to feel like a prostitute. I closed my legs tight and smoothed out my skirt. "Where are we going, exactly?"
"Beacon Hotel." Ahh, the Beacon Hotel. I've heard of this joint. Let's hope this is just where we're eating and he's not planning on pulling a move. We drive in silence. I start to question my decision to accept this rendevouz.

We get there, and he surprises me by opening the car door so I can get out. This is when his manner towards me started to warm. I was at ease again. He was such a gentleman; holding open doors and even holding my seat out for me. I was very charmed. He ordered himself a glass of Pinot--I naturally declined and had some ginger ale instead. He ordered steak, "somewhere between medium rare and done," I ordered a chicken caesar salad with ranch dressing. We split breadsticks.

He started talking about the last election. He said that he didn't pour a lot of money into it because he knew that he would win anyway. He quickly interjected that it was because of people like me, however, that he ended up keeping his seat. He periodically would rest his hand on mine to accent certain words; he would let it linger and then retreat.

We stayed and talked for hours. We actually got kicked out of the Beacon Hotel, as they closed at 10 and we were staying past closing. We continued the discussion out in the car. I told him about myself, and he was delighted to know that I'm going to college in Butler. He asked me to intern for him. I said I would consider it.

We drove home, with an odd, mutual feeling. Maybe it was some sort of respect that we had earned for each other (his respect for me would be the respect that an elder feels for a child, while my respect would be the respect that one feels when you realize that something you worship is actually a living, human thing). We were silent until about five minutes from my house.

"You will intern for me, won't you? I'd really like you to."
"Yes."

He pulled into my driveway and we sat in silence. It was awkward, but a good awkward.

"Well, I don't really know what to say." So he kissed me. And I kissed him back. It was very good.

I got out of the car and he drove away. He called me twice this morning, but I didn't answer. He has a wife and children. I can't ruin a family, even if I have been declaring all along that I would if I could. I guess I really do have to find somebody my own age.

No comments: